FS: Quadrics SC40 QM-400 network adapter (~3 Gbit, PCI-X)

This is a rather unique item. I have no use for it, but maybe you run HP-UX, Tru64, Linux or whatever and want to give it a go!

I have three Quadrics SC40 QM-400 Élan (QsNet) network adapters, to be installed in PCI-X slots. Or, actually, supercomputer-interconnects. Quadrics used to be of the now-defunct Alenia. (AleniaAeronautica was an aerospace/navy subsidiary of the defense giant Finmeccanica).

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

These are, as you may’ve guessed from the above description, high-end networking and clustering interconnects and they support speeds up to ~3 gigabit (i.e. 320 megabytes per seconde). That should be about three times faster than regular gigabit ethernet. Information is scarce, however, but I know this much: HP Integrity rx2600 was qualified for these adapters, HP-UX, Tru64 and Linux all provide(d) support. Don’t ask me how though. I once had the impression that VMS would support these as well, but I was mistaken and that’s how I ended up with them.

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

With two nodes there’s no switch necessary. The physical ‘link’ or interconnect, cable-wise, is simply an HD50M-HD50M. Beware though, as is written on the PCI shield, it’s not SCSI. You know what? If you’re interested two, you get one extra for free. (You can keep that as a spare or sell it on.)

Some interesting information about Quadrics, via Wikipedia:

The AlphaServer SC was a [supercomputer constructed from a set of individual DS20, ES40 or ES45 servers (called “nodes”) mounted in racks. [SIZE=“3”]Every node was connected to every other node using a [URL=“Quadric - Wikipedia”]Quadrics elan3 interconnect and the systems were designed and used primarily for [URL=“High-performance technical computing - Wikipedia”]high-performance technical computing. An AlphaServer SC45 supercomputer was still ranked #6 in the world as late as November 2004.[URL=“AlphaServer - Wikipedia”][7][/SIZE]
[URL=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AlphaServer#AlphaServer_SC”]source]

Most likely in combination with Digital/Tru64 UNIX or Linux for Alpha (AXP).

null