Donnie Darko

I have yet to see it, but I went through the entire official page www.donniedarko.com and it looks freakin’ amazing. I heard it’s a suspense/horror but it looks more like a movie that makes you seriously think instead of pooping yourself. I also heard that it is basically unheard of because it came out around the same time as 9/11 and had to do with a jet engine falling on a house so it was suspended therefore lost it’s oncoming hype. Who here has seen it? Discuss.

That giant bunny looks freaking scarier than death itself.

It is a fantastic movie, with a fantastic soundtrack, although you really do need to see it a few…thousand times before you understand it.

hmmmm sounds just like what I’m into :smiley:

Watching this film makes me HORNY!

Want to see it, remember the website being crazy.

Not a bad movie really :stuck_out_tongue:

Saw it Ratti? I have yet to show it to Alicen. Kinda hard to sleep after seeing it however, knowing Frank is watching over you… >_<

shudder

>_<
Yes, show her and let her get nightmares :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to post something that will be a pretty big spoiler…so look away!

From what I read on the website and from what I saw on the DVD, I came up with a possible explanation for what really happens. It turns out that Donnie’s Doctor doesn’t think he has schitzophrenia at all, so he moved him to a placebo to try and prove his point. I think Donnie’s sickness resurfaces, and when the plane engine hits his room (a freak accident to be sure enough) his last moments are spent fantacizing about what could have been (in the director’s cut, you actually see Donnie dying after the engine falls. Not dead…dying).

Then again, maybe I’m wrong, and the whole film is about alternate dimensions and universes and time portals and the end of the world and such, but I like my idea too. This would also sort of explain why Frank was his sister’s boyfriend, and why nobody else can see Frank…ever (like the scene when his sister asks who he’s talking to in the bathroom).

Regardless, great freaking movie. I’m going to watch the director’s commentary soon to try and get some new perspective…

There is a DVD of this movie? Me must find it.

YES there is and you have to get it. I heard there were 20 deleted scenes.

No any more details on the DVD Trot?

Does the director’s cut perhaps include these deletions?

Originally posted by Trot_to_Trotsky
[B]

It turns out that Donnie’s Doctor doesn’t think he has schitzophrenia at all, so he moved him to a placebo to try and prove his point. I think Donnie’s sickness resurfaces, and when the plane engine hits his room (a freak accident to be sure enough) his last moments are spent fantacizing about what could have been (in the director’s cut, you actually see Donnie dying after the engine falls. Not dead…dying).
[/B]

There is a deleted scene where the doctor tells donnie shes just been giving him a placebo, and theres also a deleted scene of donnie impaled on a board twitching and such.

Despite these things, I still don’t really get the ending. I need to see it another thousand times as you mentioned.

Darn good movie though and you are right about the soundtrack as well.

Creepy , wierd and kinda has that Final Destination feel to it as well. with a dash of time bandits and a sprinkle Bill and ted…

NO!
It’s appeal has a lot to do with how it’s like NOTHING else >_<

Originally posted by Gil
Despite these things, I still don’t really get the ending. I need to see it another thousand times as you mentioned.

Well, if he was insane, then it makes sense in that his mind fires off a crazy little dream for him to have as he lies dying due to a freak accident with an airplane engine.

If the whole time travel/alternate universe thing is right, then the plane exploding at the end of the world sent the single engine through a single freak wormhole back in time, crushing Donnie and restoring the universe to its predestined place (when Donnie doesn’t die in Universe 1, he upsets the balance, shit happens that’s not supposed to happen [his girlfriend dying, his sister’s boyfriend dying, etc.] and thus, the world has to end [this is what happens when you fuck with space-time]. Frank shows him life nearing the end of the world, and Donnie finds love, general happiness, and true tragedy [unlike his current melodramatic life]. This is why he’s laughing when he wakes up in his bed, truly understanding what just happened. All the people whom he touches in this alternate universe realize something has happened to them, but they’re not quite sure what. This is why they all sort of wake up in bed and just sort of stare off into the distance while a great cover of “Mad World” plays in the background.)

Yarr. It’s a complicated one to be sure (like, I can’t even begin to explain what the fuck is up with Cherita, that chubby Chinese chick with the earmuffs), but great.

Especially when it contains lines like: I’ll tell you what he said! He told me to forcibly insert the lifeline exercise card into my anus!

and…

Donnie: You are such a fuckass!

Elizabeth: Did you just call me a fuckass?! You can go suck a fuck!

Donnie: Oh, please, tell me Elizabeth, how exactly does one suck a fuck?!

COMEDY DARKO

Oh, then there’s shit like this:

Donnie: [in a letter] Dear Roberta Sparrow, I have reached the end of your book and there are so many questions that I need to ask you. Sometimes I am afraid of what you might tell me. Sometimes I am afraid this is not a work of fiction. I can only hope that the answers will come to me in my sleep. I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

And I’m completely thrown off track with my line of thinking.

Gaaah, must fully understand movie…

Originally posted by Trot_to_Trotsky
Gaaah, must fully understand movie…

Yep, we must.

Well, now I do fully understand the movie.

Essentially every aspect of it.

My suggestion to all of you: go buy the DVD for 10 bucks at Best Buy. Take it home. Watch the film once normally, then watch it a second time with the director’s commentary on. He explains everthing perfectly.

The movie is about 1000 times better now that I knew what the director was shooting for. Fantastic.

I think I will watch it one more time without the commentary first and see what I can figure out. Then perhaps the commentary.

wow… $10
seriously?