Classic forum thread: post your desktop

Classic internet forum thread, share your graphical user interface desktop environment. (Jargon and buzz-terminology aside of course, in case your operating system calls it something other than ‘desktop’ of course. But you’ll hopefully get the point.)

If you use a CLI and something fancy, like [FONT=“Courier New”]tmux[/FONT] or [FONT=“Courier New”]screen[/FONT] (with a customized layout), you’re needless to say free to share that as well.

Just the simple Ubuntu Unity interface. Might switch to KDE at some point to try something new. How about yours MG? You probably have more interesting systems than I do :).

At the moment, besides DCL (CLI), I use the “New Desktop” DECwindows of OpenVMS. That is basically [CDE ([URL=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Desktop_Environment”]Common Desktop Environment), an X window manager built upon Motif (derived from HP’s “[URL=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_User_Environment”]VUE” [URL=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_User_Environment”]Visual User Environment], like in their MC68000-powered offerings in the past), which is very prevalent amongst commercial UNIX and UNIX-derivatives. VMS is actually the odd man out, being the only non-UNIX operating system having CDE. I can also make screenshots of DECwindows for Tru64 UNIX, CDE for HP-UX, Solaris and so forth, for the sake of comparison.

Here’s a screenshot I just made from the desktop I use of one of my OpenVMS I64 V8.4 rx2620 cluster nodes (more information can be found in the screenshot, below).

[CENTER][/CENTER]

That reminds me of using the Sun workstations in college. Also close to some of the window themes I remember back with Mandrake Linux. :slight_smile:

Do you remember what kind of Sun workstations those were? I have two types at home. But yes, that’s very possible. Solaris, up to version 10, includes CDE. I think since Solaris 11, with OpenSolaris and other spin-offs even earlier, CDE was gradually phased out. Though, the biggest and foremost reason in the latter case was primarily due to the commercial license of CDE, which is naturally problematic for F/OSS redistribution.

Did Mandrake Linux include CDE once upon a time? I know Red Hat did, it was called the “TriTeal Enterprise Desktop” (TED); which was simply CDE, as provided by an [URL=“http://www.opengroup.org”]Open Group licensed (now defunct) company called TriTeal, hence the name. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, Red Hat removed it around version 7. I just found out, [URL=“http://support.novell.com/techcenter/sdb/en/2003/08/cde_install.html”]via the Novell web site, that SuSE had included TED as well (as of version 5), interesting!

CDE is in the verge of extinction, especially for Linux. Which is a shame, it’s an extremely fast and compact windowing system and desktop environment. With regard to compact: compare, for instance, the size of Motif/CDE optimized binaries with GNOME or KDE binaries.

I don’t remember the type of Sun workstation. I think it was for verilog programming.

Mandrake included all sorts of window managers, I remember trying Gnome and Kde, Blackbox, and I think CDE. There were also CDE widget themes available by default.

CDE will probably still be used by some folks. What about XFCE, Blackbox, and Fluxbox? People still use those right?

Besides VMS, certainly those using HP-UX, IBM AIX, SCO UnixWare (or whatever it’s called nowadays), HP/Compaq Tru64 UNIX (formerly known as Digital UNIX, originally and internally still also known as “OSF/1”), Solaris <=10 and so forth, via either remote X or direct graphics output.

That reminds me, I almost forgot about it, there’s also the OpenCDE initiative nowadays! It’s not based on CDE, code-wise, but it’s rather a recreation of it. I do think it does rely on Motif, or LessTif rather. I successfully built it once, it seems to work okay! Below are some screenshots (from the site).

[CENTER]

[/CENTER]

(As you can probably tell, they’re going after the Solaris look and feel mostly. You can, of course, customize that to be more DECwindows, HP-UX or AIX-like! :wink: )

What about XFCE, Blackbox, and Fluxbox? People still use those right?

I don’t know, I myself haven’t used Linux on the desktop much. The last time I seriously did, well over ten years ago (with proper DRI/DRM enablement), I used mostly AfterStep, Window Maker, MWM and some others.

Fresh from me.

Shots introducing two tiling window managers for *nix, written in Common Lisp, running remotely via XDMCP over SSH connection:

And this WM is capable of dynamic tiling:

Both WMs are hackable and provide user with embedded LISP’s REPL.

Shocking! I thought you told me a while back that Haiku didn’t interest you! :wink:

Anyway, interesting screenshot. A year or two ago (maybe even more, by now), when I last tried Haiku/OpenBeOS, I didn’t remember it to be so fully-featured. I see there has been quite some progress.

Well, maybe some kind of misunderstanding. I’m not against these modern desktop-oriented systems, like AROS, Haiku, Syllable e.t.c. More to add, i’m a bit familiar with Haiku, since i’ve used BeOS and Zeta in far past.

Anyway, interesting screenshot. A year or two ago (maybe even more, by now), when I last tried Haiku/OpenBeOS, I didn’t remember it to be so fully-featured. I see there has been quite some progress.

It’s gcc2-hybrid build on the shot, so it’s allows running of BeOS R5 apps without recompilation of them (ABI compatibility). This BeOS software heritage is one of the keys making Haiku fully-featured. Another one is quite recent Qt 4 port.

No doubt, you already heard that CDE had released as open source recently. Some say this happened thanks to petition, but i myself didn’t found reliable sources for this info. However, petition to open IRIX Interactive Desktop has started few months ago. [URL=“http://devio.us/~kpedersen/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5045#p5045”]Some became rather sceptical about this initiative, but in my opinion if rights holders and author of MaXX Desktop shall combine, not only outdated source code will be released, but the support for running on modern *nix system 'll be added too.
By the way, it’s sad that E. Masson (creator of Maxx) didn’t make any recent progress on his brainchild. Sad in twice that if i remember clearly, he didn’t release full sources of the project, only code for some components or if i mistaken with this, he never provided guide how to build Maxx from stratch.