AMD vs Pentium

What’s the difference between the 2?

made by different companies

Speed.

Processing time, Handling of Programs and Basically the best way to tell is to benchmark the puppies.

One’s bigger than the other.

See?

Edit: Tom’s apparently doesn’t like remote image linking.

thanks for being so damn specific. =P well, i’m getting a new computer. and i was wondering which one is better? i’ve heard pentium.

They’re both good CPUs, so either way you should get a good product. I chose Athlons because they provide more performance for the price.

For a mid-range Athlon system:
Asus A7N8X = $120
Athlon XP 2500+ = $99
total = $219

For a mid-range P4:
Abit IS7 = $120
P4 2.4GHz 800MHz FSB = $180
total = $300

That’s about $80 difference for about the same performance. They can also be overclocked to about the same performance levels either way, so I’d just chose the cheaper one of the two.

AMD is the way be. I pity da phool.
Processing and gaming goodness to boot.

thanks guys. i guess pentiums are just more expensive because intel are a bunch of money hungry fools. i won’t be getting a AMD 2500 though, it’ll be the best one, which is what? I think a 3200.

or you can wait until Althon XP 64 comes out, which should be soon now. a few weeks or less, if i’m not mistaken.

from what i’ve seen, an Opertron 64 was overclocked to 2.0 ghz (the native speed Althon 64 will run on) and it torally shred and ripped all Pentium 3.2 ghz benchmarks.

but on the other hand, Intel’s coming out with their new Extreme Edition Pentium 4s, and seeing how it starts at 3.2 ghz, the higher end models will probably be faster as well.

:slight_smile:

In that case:

Athlon XP 3200+ 400 MHz FSB = $499

Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 800 MHz FSB = $699

What is the purpose of the 400/800 MHz FSB? Just curious.

That’s how fast the FSB is for each CPU. They both actually run at 200 MHz, but the Athlon’s FSB sends 2 signals per clock, just like DDR memory, so they say it’s 400 MHz. The Pentium 4’s FSB sends 4 signals per clock, so they say it’s 800 MHz. Bigger number = gotta be better, right?

So the FSB speed doesn’t really matter?

Well, it does and it doesn’t. I wouldn’t make it something that would make one platform better than the other, but a higher FSB can raise performance in some cases. Alot of the time you’ll see people overclock their FSB speed to get the most performance out of their system, like some P4 OCers go up to 250 MHz (1200 MHz) FSB which increases overall performance. Same goes for Athlon owners. However, each platform has been optimized to use their own FSB speed to achive the performance they advertise. So, yes it matters, but just not very much.

Alienware makes their stuff a lot more expensive than ABS Computer is. Logitech® Z-680 5.1 500-Watt THX Speakers are $340 from Alienware, and $290 with ABS. Now it’s up to my parents as to how much they are willing to spend on the computer.

Try http://www.pricewatch.com

LET NAGI FIND OUT 1st before -= Anyone =- says anything…