So. 10+++, or is that too low?

Sean Astin’s performance ranks among the greatest in the history of cinema. You FEEL Sam’s horror and tears when Frodo tells him to go home (as if he possibly can, that far into the raging monstrosity that is Mordor itself). When he picks up the bread after tumbling down, his breaking it in his hands and the look of hurt makes you want to run over and pick him up and tell him This Is Not The End, Samwise the Brave…fight on.

An Oscar for him is a given in that it SHOULD be done, but would the high and mighties of the Academy or whatever admit that a fantasy story holds in it the most powerful acting performances seen in decades, if not ever.

Here, talk of third and final part of The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King.

Wormtongue and Saruman were crazy!

oh wait

If this is all the material to write on RotK, people here who speak of being Tolkien fans should be ashamed.

I saw the movie, i hated to see the series end, that’s about the sadest part about the thing. I love the characters, the world, the story, and i’m gonna miss it. I hear the extended version is going to be about 5.5 hours long, i can’t wait.

I hate to sound like a stupid nit-picker, but Sam technically wasn’t even in Mordor when Frodo told him to go home.

Other than that, yes he was simply an amazing supporting actor. The movies really did manage to capture the feeling and essence of the books, even if they did leave out much of the material and story.

I see as little problem with nitpickers on Tolkien as those who want to make sure every facet of Biblical tales are told in movies that are based on them. Same principle, same result.

Yeah. Good call. I really shouldn’t bitch about every minute insignificant detail… I’d be ranting for the rest of my life if I did.

I also think the LOTR movie trilogy rocked.

I hope they start work on the hobbit now ASAP. :slight_smile:

Would There And Back Again, an admitted children’s story, hold audiences like the masterpiece did? Granted, anything in the real Middle-earth is fun to see/experience, but people have come to expect Germanic-Iliad-meets-Odyssey’s now.