Computer networking & telecommunication

null

Nice switch! Any idea how you’ll be setting it up? What does your network topology roughly look like at the moment? (I hope you didn’t mind me splitting this into a new thread, it definitely deserves it.)

null

I see! Any progress to report?

null

[spoiler]Are you sure you want to reboot the switch (y/n)? y

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Jiang said “Have you seen the purple dance of madness?”[/COLOR]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]Herb said “Please insert $0.25 for the next 100 packets.”[/COLOR]
Brian said “How is the weather? It’s raining in California!”
Dave said “Let’s snowboard!”
Andy said “Bug! What bug?!??”
Everybody said “Where is Herb?”
Herb said “Where is everybody?”
Erik said “Have a nice day!”
Shehzad said “Enjoy your weekend. I’ll be working!”
Eric said “You need a vacation!! ;-)”
Lin said “Don can’t count!”
Sunil said “Bug? Oh no! It is a feature :-)”[/spoiler]

null

Looks good! I see you got GBICs, but rather for fiber they appear to be adapters to copper for UTP, correct?

Sorry for LQ quality, i’ve just loaned my cam to a friend. Last photo shows some modifications: grean heatsinks installed on networks chips; redudant PSU got removed; all 5 stock fans removed (including that one in remaining PSU); finally i installed just two cheap silent fans. Works like a charm.

That’s good to hear. I’ve also been modifying hardware in the meantime, like (for example) I have fixed and replaced the NVR/TOY battery in my DEC Multia/UDB.

P.S.: Sorry, Marco, for not being on Skype :(.

No problem, I was merely curious what was going on. It has been, what, months? Good to see you’re alive and well.

null

There’s also fiber over copper, but it’s usually non-UTP. At least, as far as FC (for storage) goes. I’m not sure what exists for fiber ethernet. The Origin3200 I had used DB9-like FC-AL copper connectors.

And actually, i have only one 1000T module, more like for testing purpose. Another one i got as bonus, and it’s limited to other kind of firm gear, so it’s not working in Summits.

I see.

That’s nice :slight_smile:

Believe it or not, but NetBSD would whine if the NVR/TOY (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory & Time-of-Year) chip couldn’t hold an accurate system time. A rather strange requirement, coming from NetBSD. One would think that NetBSD, of all operating systems with all the legacy platforms, would be a bit more ‘tolerant’ in that regard (especially as there’s NTP, for instance, to overcome these types of non-issues).

Believe it or not, but NetBSD would whine if the NVR/TOY (Non-Volatile Random Access Memory & Time-of-Year) chip couldn’t hold an accurate system time. A rather strange requirement, coming from NetBSD. One would think that NetBSD, of all operating systems with all the legacy platforms, would be a bit more ‘tolerant’ in that regard (especially as there’s NTP, for instance, to overcome these types of non-issues).

I seen similar problem when used OpenBSD/macppc on Apple PowerBook laptop without battery. However, besides the textual warning, it didn’t gave me any troubles.